In the past few months, Olympic Gold Medalist Sydney McLaughlin has been making headlines. Who is this 22-year-old sensation? Her story begins in Dunellen, New Jersey, where she ran to a second-place finish at the 2014 N.J. Meet of Champions with a time of 55.78 seconds. Later that month, she finished first at the USA Junior Outdoor Track & Field Championships with a time of 54.10 seconds. It was her first Junior National Championship win, and she became the youngest woman to ever break 55 seconds in the 400. Let’s learn more about Sydney McLaughlin parents, siblings, husband, career, achievements, and more!
Sydney McLaughlin was born on August 7, 1999, in Dunellen, NJ, to parents Mary and Willie McLaughlin. Willie was a semi-finalist in the 400 meters at the 1984 Olympic Trials. He attended East Orange High School before moving onto Manhattan College, where he graduated, after which Willie went on to compete for several years as an athlete both nationally and internationally.
Her mother, Mary McLaughlin, was also a runner in her school days; however, there are not many details about her. But we can surely say that the blood of an athlete runs through her veins because of her mother and father.
Sydney McLaughlin is currently 22 years old. She turned 22 on August 7, 2021, which was the same day that she won her Gold Medal at the World Championships in London in 2017.
Her documented weight is 132 lbs which equates to 60 kilograms. Being an athlete, she has maintained her physical shape extremely well.
Sydney McLaughlin is an American hurdler, sprinter, and 2020 Olympic gold medalist who went from being just another college student to becoming one of America’s top athletes. She is from a family of athletes, and she has performed really well so far in her career.
Sydney McLaughlin competed in the 2008 World Junior Championships in Athletics, where she was fourth overall. She won her first national title at the 2013 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships by winning the 400 m hurdles convincingly with a time of 55.76 seconds.
In 2014, she became the youngest woman to ever break 55 seconds in the 400, running 54.78 seconds at the New Jersey Meet of Champions. A month later, she set a new world junior record in the event with a time of 53.63 seconds at the USA Junior Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
In 2016, McLaughlin announced that she would forgo her remaining collegiate eligibility and turn professional. She was subsequently signed by Nike.
At the 2017 World Championships in Athletics, McLaughlin won a gold medal as part of the 4 × 400 m relay team. In doing so, she became the youngest American woman ever to win a world championship gold medal in any event.
In 2020, McLaughlin qualified for the Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan. At the Olympics, she won a gold medal as part of the 4 × 400 m relay team. At 22 years old, she became the youngest American woman ever to win an Olympic gold medal in track and field. Sydney McLaughlin Parents were really proud of their daughter’s achievement.
Her boyfriend, Andre Levrone Jr., is a successful graduate from the University of Virginia and played three seasons as a wide receiver for an NFL team before leaving to pursue other endeavors.
The Olympic hurdler, 22-year old Sydney, and Andre Levrone Jr.’s, her boyfriend, got engaged during a romantic getaway at the Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale in Arizona.
She was so high from her engagement that she posted photos on Instagram for everyone following their story of love together! The athlete shared pictures in a wonderful scenery where you can clearly see how much joy fills up every inch inside this soon-to-be bride’s heart. She captioned the photo “To My Future Husband.”
- She holds a world record for the 400 meters hurdle race done in 51.90 seconds. She made this record on 27th June 2021
- In the 2019 Championship, she won a gold medal in 4 x 400 relay race.
- Sidney won a silver medal in the 2019 championship 400mH race.
- In 2015, she won a gold medal in Youth Championship 400m hurdle race.
- She won a Gold medal in the Olympic team trials in 2020 in the 400m hurdle race.
- In 2019, she won a silver medal in USATF outdoor championship in 400 meters hurdle race
- She won the gold medal in NCAA indoor championship 400 meters hurdle race in 2018.
- Sidney also won a silver medal in 2018 in the same NCAA indoor championship 200 meters hurdle race.
- In 2016, she won a bronze medal in the U.S Olympic team trials in 400 meters hurdle race
- The same year, she won a gold medal in USATF Junior, U20, Championships in 400 meters hurdle race.
- In 2014, she won a silver medal in USATF Junior, U20, Championships in 400 meters hurdle race.
She was brought up in Dunellen, N.J, but now she has moved to Los Angeles, where she is living and carrying her career. She has found better coaches and better training opportunities in LA.
This rising star has made a major name for herself in the sport of track & field. Her net worth is estimated to be around $2 million dollars. She has had many endorsements deals with different brands, and she earns pretty good money from these contracts.
- She played basketball and soccer when she was young
- She signed a sponsorship deal in 2018 with New Balance.
- Sydney trained under Bob Kersee, who is the husband of a former 6-time Olympic medalist named Jackie Joyner-Kersee.
She has 2 brothers and 1 sister. The name of her brothers are Taylor and Ryan McLaughlin, and her sister’s is Morgan McLaughlin.
The success Sydney has achieved so far is surely a result her own hard work, but there is one major factor, or you can say one key role played by Sydney McLaughlin Parents. She got all her inspiration from her parents (and some genetics too!) who supported her 100% in the pursuit of her dreams.